The Automotive Service Technician Pre-Apprenticeship is a tuition-free program funded by the Government of Ontario that is designed as a transition step to finding an apprenticeship.
You will receive preparation for working in the automotive industry, earn Level 1 Automotive Service Technician training, receive assistance in finding a short work placement, and get on-the-job experience in Canada.
The program will consist of three phases:
- Phase 1 - Introductory Skills (12 weeks from March to June): This aspect will offer preparation for automotive training, job readiness skills, workplace communications, technical writings and mathematical skills required for use in the transportation field.
- Phase 2 - Technical Skills (13 weeks from June to August): You will be introduced to Automotive Service Technician Level 1 topics such as engines, fuels, electrical, suspension, steering, powertrain, brakes and introduction to parts technician.
- Phase 3 - Work Placement (12 weeks from September to November): You will be placed into the industry to apply what you have learned.
- The in-school training you will receive is delivered at the School of Transportation’s state-of-the-art facilities, which are housed at Ashtonbee Campus.
- Centennial College’s facilities are considered the province’s largest transportation training centre.
- Within 37 weeks, you will complete the requirements for both Level 1 of the in-school apprenticeship curriculum and paid work placement.
- As part of your training, you will obtain communication and mathematical upgrading, and job readiness skills that are industry specific.
- You will enjoy a paid work placement opportunity with a reputable automotive shop.
- Automotive Service Technician Apprentice
- Service Advisor
- Parts Technician Apprentice
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or General Education Development (GED) or equivalent.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada and obtain an Ontario apprenticeship.
- Write an assessment test facilitated by Centennial College.
- Attend an interview (by invite only, based on assessment results).